Thursday, February 09, 2006

USATODAY.com - FCC says a la carte cable would save consumers money

Back to the Blog! Al acarte cable - Public Boon or Boondoggle?

Well, I'm finally back to my blog. Actually, I forgot my password and finally got enough time to change it.

I came across this article today and thought it was worth mentioning:
USATODAY.com - FCC says a la carte cable would save consumers money.
Something I and, I'm sure, many others, have considered and would be interested in if it became available. Now I don't know about you readers (if indeed anyone other than scambots read this), but I would be very happy to be able to pick and choose my cable and satellite channels the same way I choose tomatoes at the market. In fact, if I could ditch all of the religious channels, foreign language channels, sales channels, music video channels and the rest of the cable flotsam out there, I might be more inclined to pay for more premium content such as HBO or another movie channel lineup. In all likelihood, I'd wind up spending at least the same amount I do now, though I'd probably watch TV a little more (that may not be a good thing). I might even be persuaded to opt for other features such as cable modem broadband since I can't get DSL service where I live. Cable broadband is too expensive where I live currently to have both it and television. If others feel the same way I do, switching to an al acarte lineup would probably make more money for the cable conglomerates rather than less. Unfortunately, cable companies don't see things the way I do, since they garner huge amounts of money not only from subscribers, but also from their myriad advertisers. Some of these are local or specialty-oriented, thus are more likely to hawk their wares on fringe or largely unwatched channels. My current channel lineup includes about 120 channels. My family and I watch only about 20 of these. When I mentioned this to my satellite provider a few years ago, I was informed that I get the rest of the channels whether I view them or not, but I can make my own programing using their channel lineup system. I asked if this were the case, why should I pay extra for channels I don't watch? I was told that all services are sold as bundles, so such an arrangement was not possible. If conservative members of Congress can produce legislation to allow an al acarte system, I say more power to them (note to self- isn't this kind of thing normally a liberal concern? Where do the Hollywood democrats stand on this issue? I'm so confused...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

This link kills spam